Unpowered Bus Drivers

John Dammeyer

Hi all,

Does anyone have a list of which CAN bus drivers can be unpowered on a CAN bus without impacting the network?  As I understand it some of the earlier drivers like the P82C250 should not be powered down.  There are some TI devices that are designed to handle this.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

John Dammeyer

"ELS! Nothing else works as well for your Lathe"

Automation Artisans Inc.

http://www.autoartisans.com/ELS/

Ph. 1 250 544 4950

Re: Unpowered Bus Drivers

Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
Hi John

Am Mittwoch, 27. April 2016, 22:45:51 schrieb John Dammeyer:
> Hi all,
> Does anyone have a list of which CAN bus drivers can be unpowered on a CAN
> bus without impacting the network?  As I understand it some of the earlier
> drivers like the P82C250 should not be powered down.  There are some TI
> devices that are designed to handle this.
>
> Any information would be helpful.

Yes, as far as I know TI has such devices, remember Steve Corrigan. And TI has a very good reputation regarding CAN transceivers. But I don't have a part number for you.
May be it is worth adding this attribute as a flag to the CAN transceiver collection at the CAN Wiki. But again, there are too many properties of interest, that at the end you need to publish the data sheet.
. operating voltage
- power consumption
- power off behavior
- propagation delay
- max speed
- low power feature
- housing
- EMI
- ...
and much more. The Wiki as it is can not offer a complete comparison, but only give an overview on manufacturers where to look at.

 Heinz

Report any problems to <[hidden email]>

RE: Unpowered Bus Drivers

Janakiraman, Hareesh

I checked with our “Industrial Interface” group and they had this to say: “All the newer transceivers are able to do this. There is a spec in the datasheets that is Unpowered Bus Leakage and it is limited to 10µA in the standard now. Our latest TCAN1042/1051 devices have a max of 4.8µA”

Hareesh Janakiraman

Texas Instruments Inc

Am Mittwoch, 27. April 2016, 22:45:51 schrieb John Dammeyer:

> Hi all,

> Does anyone have a list of which CAN bus drivers can be unpowered on a

> CAN bus without impacting the network?  As I understand it some of the

> earlier drivers like the P82C250 should not be powered down.  There

> are some TI devices that are designed to handle this.

> Any information would be helpful.

Yes, as far as I know TI has such devices, remember Steve Corrigan. And TI has a very good reputation regarding CAN transceivers. But I don't have a part number for you.

May be it is worth adding this attribute as a flag to the CAN transceiver collection at the CAN Wiki. But again, there are too many properties of interest, that at the end you need to publish the data sheet.

. operating voltage

- power consumption

- power off behavior

- propagation delay

- max speed

- low power feature

- housing

- EMI

- ...

and much more. The Wiki as it is can not offer a complete comparison, but only give an overview on manufacturers where to look at.

Heinz

RE: Unpowered Bus Drivers

Fernando.Gonzalez

Here are the ones available from Microchip:

·         MCP2542WFD

·         MCP2542FD

·         MCP2544WFD

·         MCP2544FD

·         MCP2561FD

·         MCP2562FD

·         MCP2561

·         MCP2562

·         MCP2551

Best Regards,

Fernando González

MCHP logo

Principal Design Architect

and Applications Engineer

Analog PowerInterface Division

2355 W. Chandler Blvd. Chandler, AZ 85224

Mail Stop: 42C