Unknown PGNs on J1939

Khalid Ansari
Dear CAN enthusiasts,

In my application, I am monitoring a J1939 bus.  I am seeing couple of
PGNs, 60671 and 60415, which are not defined in the J1939/71 spec.  I
have no idea what these are.  Could these be proprietary?

On the other hand, I am not seeing PGN 65263 (Engine Oil Pressure)
which _should_ be on the J1939 bus, as per the spec.  I do see other
common PGNs which I need like, Engine RPM, Coolant Temperature, etc.

I guess what I am asking is: is it kosher for a manufacturer to not
include PGNs defined in the J1939/71 spec, and instead use custom PGNs
for relating this info'?  What are my options for retrieving the PGN
65263 (Engine Oil Pressure) -- one obvious one being going back to the
manufacturer.

Thank you in advance!

-Khalid

Report any problems to <[hidden email]>

Re: Unknown PGNs on J1939

Cyrilla Menon
Khalid:

60671 and 60415 are in the J1939/21 specification. If you convert them
to hex they are ECFF and EBFF. Those are the Transport Protocol messages
beings sent to FF (to everyone).

As for the Engine Oil Pressure - did you try to send a request message?
(Again in the /21 spec.)

Cyrilla

Khalid Ansari wrote:

>Dear CAN enthusiasts,
>
>In my application, I am monitoring a J1939 bus.  I am seeing couple of
>PGNs, 60671 and 60415, which are not defined in the J1939/71 spec.  I
>have no idea what these are.  Could these be proprietary?
>
>On the other hand, I am not seeing PGN 65263 (Engine Oil Pressure)
>which _should_ be on the J1939 bus, as per the spec.  I do see other
>common PGNs which I need like, Engine RPM, Coolant Temperature, etc.
>
>I guess what I am asking is: is it kosher for a manufacturer to not
>include PGNs defined in the J1939/71 spec, and instead use custom PGNs
>for relating this info'?  What are my options for retrieving the PGN
>65263 (Engine Oil Pressure) -- one obvious one being going back to the
>manufacturer.
>
>Thank you in advance!
>
>-Khalid

Report any problems to <[hidden email]>

RE: Unknown PGNs on J1939

David Huff
As for the 60671 (0xECFF) and 60415 0xEBFF)PGNs, those are are PDU1
format (SAE1939-21), it states PGNs with a PS with values between 0 and
239 are PDU1 format.  This means that those PGNs are destination
specific messages. In this case, those messages are being sent to a
destination of 0xFF.  These messages could be other SAE standard
messages, or proprietary, no way to tell without more info.

As for the missing message, you could try sending the Request PGN
message, 59904 (0x00EA00) and request the desired PGN from the device
(This assumes the device you are testing is able to respond with that
message).  This message is destination specific, and defined in J1939-21

David Huff
DISTek Integration

Report any problems to <[hidden email]>

Re: Unknown PGNs on J1939

20114153
Hi Cyrilla,

I am trying to decipher data from my Transmission line puller machine. Whatever PGNs i am getting, i decoded using SAE J1939/71, but i mange to get only few data. I am sure that my machine having many data travelling over CANBUS and also it is on Local display.
 My worry is, how to get other data since i am getting limited PGNs. I am attaching the screenshot of the PGNs of i am getting from my machine.