J1939 - Alter Preferred address

Urs, Kantha

Hi,

We are using SAE J1939 standard in a product.

We need to alter preferred address so that same NAME CAN nodes can be inserted into the same CAN network.

I got to know that through CA, it can be altered… but the standard does not say about storing new address into Nonvolatile memory.

Can anyone provide me information regarding standard linkage to store new address into Nonvolatile memory?

Best Regards,

Kantha

Re: J1939 - Alter Preferred address

koppe
Hello,

the storing of the ECU address is manufacturer specific, you won’t find
any information on that in the J1939-81 specification. IMHO you should
provide the PGN65240 (commanded address) in your product and store this
ECU address.

Greetings,

Uwe

MicroControl GmbH & Co. KG
Junkersring 23, 53844 Troisdorf, Germany

Homepage: www.microcontrol.net
Facebook: www.facebook.com/MicroControl.net
Twitter : http://twitter.com/_microcontrol_

RE: J1939 - Alter Preferred address

Bram Kerkhof

The standard specifies that constructors must assure that NAME entries on a network (at least for transmitting nodes) are unique for the sake of address assignment, so if you have two nodes on the same network with an identical NAME you have a problem as both will respond to the Commanded Address PGN for their NAME.

The standard also specifies that nodes that are command configurable (i.e.: respond to CA PGN with their NAME), as well as ones that are service-configurable (address changeable via proprietary service tool, does not need to implement support for CA PGN) should retain the adapted address after a power-cycle. The storing into non-volatile memory is thus implied, otherwise you should not claim to be command configurable.

Cheers,

Bram