CANList activity.

John Dammeyer
Is this list still functioning?
John Dammeyer

Report any problems to <[hidden email]>

Re: CANList activity.

Kees Zagers
Hi John,

In any case I received your mail. Indeed it has been quiet for a long
time. Don't see a lot of activity on the LinkedIn groups either.
Probably most questions and problems on CAN have been answered and
solved. I think we can retire :-)

Kees

John Dammeyer schreef op 16.07.2017 20:53:
> Is this list still functioning?
> John Dammeyer

Report any problems to <[hidden email]>

Re: CANList activity.

David Harris
Hi!
I am still here.
David

On Jul 16, 2017 13:15, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi John,

In any case I received your mail. Indeed it has been quiet for a long time. Don't see a lot of activity on the LinkedIn groups either. Probably most questions and problems on CAN have been answered and solved. I think we can retire :-)

Kees

John Dammeyer schreef op 16.07.2017 20:53:
Is this list still functioning?
John Dammeyer

Report any problems to <[hidden email]>

RE: CANList activity.

John Dammeyer
I posted the question because I received a private email from someone who
had posted and never seen it show up.  And the list has been quiet!  There
are lots of other lists now.

I'm not allowed to retire yet.  And still using CAN bus.

The problems I see are often also still the same.  A client thinks it's a
differential 2 wire bus like RS485 where the current changes direction as
opposed to what it really is; a 3 wire bus with a differential between the
two signals which have  a value relative to the third wire ground.

And it's that value relative to ground that most often causes problems.
That's because the ground at one module isn't always at the same potential
as a ground at another module.  Especially if the changing ground is due to
high current electrical noise transitions that aren't the same value at the
same time at different parts of the bus.

That and I still see the occasional self-designed high level protocol that
treats IDs as addresses and has multiple nodes sending to the same 'address'
at the same time.

Past that, CAN is pretty stable and there are lots of knowledgeable and
experience people out there.  CANopen appears to be used more and more.

John Dammeyer

Hi David,

Still using it with model trains?

On the hobby end I’ve got a dsPIC32 that takes my O-Ring Light CAN messages and translates it into the serial bit stream for addressable RGB LED strings.  Useful only for garden lighting and Christmas light shows.

John Dammeyer

Re: CANList activity.

Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
Am Sonntag, 16. Juli 2017, 11:53:59 CEST schrieb John Dammeyer:
> Is this list still functioning?
> John Dammeyer

This is my Heart Beat message

Heinz

Report any problems to <[hidden email]>

Re: CANList activity.

David Harris
Hi John --

Yes, OpenLCB and LCC alive and well.  See: openlcb.org for the gory details and the layered protocols.  CAN is a specialization of the general case.  RR-Cirkits makes LCC nodes and a starter kit http://www.rr-cirkits.com/description/index.html, and they are used on the NMRA (National Model Railroad Association) demo layout: http://www.rr-cirkits.com/LCC/NMRA%20LCC%20Demo%20Layout.html

Good work on the local use of your tech.  One of us has used the dsPIC for their own nodes.  Nice chips.  I am playing with Tivas, Teensies, and ESP32, and some rf24 radios -- but hobby time is short.

David